Saturday, October 12, 2013



Evan Johnson
AP English 11
Mrs. Wilhelmus
September 1st, 2013
Red Glasses Experiment
            In the “Kant” chapter, Sophie is presented with red-tinted glasses. These glasses were used to show what Kant philosophized about the world and its inhabitants. His thought was that everyone had their own unique perspective on everything. He thought this because of a person’s environment and their experiences.
            For Sophie to grasp Kant’s teachings about perspective she had to put on glasses that had a red tint to them. Then, she would look around and see everything she perceived was a different tint of red. This was to show that even though she saw things as red with the glasses, she could not say things are only that way. This was to represent how people can have different perspectives than others.
            I feel like this experiment applies to my life whenever I am talking to someone with a differing view. I must remember not to be judgmental and to remember that they have different experiences than me. It helps me keep an open mind about their opinion and to actually value it. I feel like it can improve relations and communication between me and those who are completely different than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment