Thursday, October 10, 2013



Evan Johnson
Mrs. Wilhelmus
AP English Language
1 August 2013
Gender Equality
            Until recently, gender equality was almost nonexistent. Women were mainly viewed as just reproductive tools. Only men were allowed to be in positions of power and allowed to make decisions that would change the course of nations. Although there were some places that allowed women to be in power, it is not a good enough reason to keep only men in charge on a global scale. That is why it was important for philosophers to begin thinking differently like Plato had done.
            Although many people will be disgusted with Aristotle’s views on women, I am mainly just saddened that such a brilliant man would have such simple views on women. I think his views on women are also very important. As it mentions in the book, “it shows how wrong things can go when men are allowed to reign supreme in the fields of philosophy and science.” By thinking this way, it shows how wrong Aristotle was and how much the world needs women to improve humans as a whole. In a sense, Aristotle has proven how important women are by looking at his ignorance.
            I think the philosopher that made the most admirable answer to questions about gender would have to be Plato. One can make this inference just from one line alone: “Women, he asserted, have exactly the same powers of reasoning as men, provided they get the same training and are exempt from child rearing and housekeeping.” This makes it obvious that Plato thought women could be just as good as men. I think it is amazing he thought this way since many would disagree with him. I am not surprised that many of the authorities in the past are men since they had complete control for an extremely long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment